Do you ever wake up with a stiff neck? Does your neck feel tired and tense thought the day? Well, you are not alone. One the primary complaints is tension and pain around the neck. According to a recent survey by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), close to one in two Americans say pain is part of life, while another 41% believe pain is a standard part of the aging process. It also mentions that neck pain is the number three cause of chronic pain; more than a quarter of Americans report being affected from pain in this area of their body.
Although many are suffering from tension and discomfort in the neck, it does not have to be that way.
Here are 3 self care techniques that may bring your relief.
- Stretch- Try some gentle stretches. Start by gently tilting your head from left to right, hold for 20 seconds on each side. Next, place your hand on top of your head and stretch your neck towards your shoulder on each side. Be sure to perform these stretches with slow, smooth movements. Make sure that you are doing it gradually as any quick stretch is more likely to tear a muscle or ligament. If you feel increased pain or numbness, stop that motion. The goal is to feel relief, not pain.
- Warm or Cool- Another neck pain-relieving strategy for chronic neck pain involves warming or cooling the areas in your neck and shoulders where you feel the tension. You can apply a heating pad at a comfortable setting or an ice pack or cool compress to relieve your neck pain for about 10 to 20 minutes at a time. Be careful to use a towel or cloth between the heating pad in order to avoid direct contact with the skin.
- Massage – Ease your stiff neck while relieving muscle pain and tension with our Neck Tension Massage Oil. It is great to apply after the neck is warm, but not necessary. This recipe below is in the proportions to make in a convenient 1oz bottle to take with you anywhere you go or leave by your bedside to apply as needed.
Neck Tension Massage Oil
4 Therapeutic Ingredients:
- Whole Chamomile Essential Oil– The carrier oils is Chamomile Infused Carrier oil. It is relaxing and soothing. Commonly used to relieve nervous tension.
- Lavender Essential Oil– Calming, relieves tension and inflammation.
- Peppermint Essential Oil– Cools inflammation, relieves pain and spasms.
- Rosemary Essential Oil– Calms the muscles, aids with circulation and relieves aches and pains.
In a 1oz Amber Glass bottle mix to following.
Massage around the back of your neck and shoulders to soothe and relax tension in the neck.